Pier Head to Aigburth 24/03/2022
Eleven of us met at the Beatles statue at the Pier Head and had our photo taken with them. The statue was created in 2015 by Andrew Edwards, who had also created the statue outside the “Bombed out Church”, of the British and German soldiers, titled “All Together Now”. By coincidence ? there is a track on the Beatles’ Yellow Submarine album with that title. Andrew had framed his statue to reflect the way the group lined up on stage. He put a lot of detail in the composition and we spent some time checking them out. Getting a shot of Ringo’s sole was tricky, but Tony managed it. We then started our walk and made our way along the riverside walkway past the Royal Albert Dock and the Echo Arena to Kings Parade. At Coburg Wharf we saw the statue of John Hulley, an English gymnast who was one of the instigators of the Olympic movement in Britain. At his Liverpool Gymnasium in 1865 he established the National Olympian Association, the forerunner of the British Olympic Association. He organised the first National Olympian Games in 1866 and organised six Olympic Festivals between 1862 and 1867 in Liverpool and Llandudno. Across the river we could see RFA Tidespring being serviced at Cammell Lairds. Tidespring refuels Naval ships at sea. Also in view across the river was the spire of St Mary’s Church at Birkenhead Priory. Carrying on past Coburg Dock, we saw a fine array of colourful narrowboats in the marina and soon came to the entrance lock, where we crossed over the lock gates. Back on the waterfront path, we passed the Brunswick Business Park and came to a stone laid in 1885 to mark the “imaginary line” to Rock Ferry and the limit of charging fees due to the Port of Liverpool for vessels tied up between here and the river mouth. Looking inland, we could see the sandstone entrance to a tunnel at the end of the Overhead Railway dated 1896. The Mersey was at a very low ebb with sandbanks visible and the water as still as a mill pond. With no wind and warm sunshine, many walkers, cyclists and runners were making the most of the day. The promenade now stretched ahead of us and we had the incongruous sight of two motorcyle policemen cruising towards us. They gave us a cheery wave as they passed. The remains of the Ferry Terminal, used during the Garden Festival in 1984, were still waiting for their promised reinstatement. At the Otterspool end of the prom, we crossed the grass over to the Three Bears Cafe and had a bite to eat and drink. Suitably refreshed, we made our way up Mersey Road to Aigburth Station for the train home.
Thanks to Anne for organising and Bob for leading. Sorry you had to miss it, Anne and hope you’ve recovered.